I have always been totally obsessed with successful people. We always read about the processes, philosophies, habits, histories, behaviors and influences of those who have managed to accomplish great things. Their stories are motivating, and we get tools and ideas to improve our life. Most successful people follow comparable patterns and share similar fundamental characteristics.
What is Success?
Success has many definitions and meanings depending with who you ask. It can be the accomplishment of one’s goal, the desired result of an attempt. The pop culture associate success with money, fame and power. Success can equally be defined as the drive for long term sustainable happiness. Passion, perseverance, and positive attitude tend to set successful people apart. To cultivate these attributes, you need an innate skill set and some tips to get started.
Measures of Success
Research and psychology have shown that there are six components of happiness in life. Having these aspects would mean that you are successful.
- Physical Health – You need to be physically healthy and have the energy to engage in life. If you do not have the vital health baseline, you will not be able to function well, and your life can be stressful.
- Mental fitness – You need to engage your mind continuously. This comes from learning and growing, facing new ideas to get better and pursuing mastery of essential aspects of life. Put all these ideas to work and accomplish your life.
- Emotional Health – You need to be emotionally fit and feel good about yourself. You need to have a positive self-image and high self-esteem. If you are depressed to a point where you can’t function, then you are not successful.
- Social Health – You need to have positive relationships in your life with the people around your circles. You need to have people who love and support you and ones that you trust. They inspire you making you a better person. Human are social, and if you don’t have people you care about and that care about you, then you can’t be successful.
- Spiritual Health – You need to make a positive impact on other people’s life. Give meaning and purpose to your work and daily life. This will keep you focused and inspire you to overcome the day to day struggles of your life and of others you care about.
- Material Wealth – You need to have access to food, shelter, and clothing, pay your bills and have luxuries. These are paid through money, and you need money to be successful. If you are too poor to have these components, then you are not successful.
Steps to Becoming Successful
You need to have a set target to aim for, and you need to know the why you are working. Setting goals is the number one task. Goals are set to motivate you to work tirelessly towards achieving them. They act as a guide to follow and a target to meet. Set goals that are simple, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound.
If you do not have a road map, then forget about success. Different studies have been put across concerning why some entrepreneurs succeed while others do not. It all lies on the fundamental aspect of planning. Successful people have complete plans relating to what to do to succeed. The act of planning moves you to a long term mindset giving you a frame of reference to evaluate your progress.
Any perfect plan can never be attained unless you act. All the people who have succeeded have the habit of acting. When they get any good idea, they take action immediately. When you see a bright window of opportunity, you do not have to wait for tomorrow.
Learning after Failure
All the successful people have failed at a given time in life. After you fall, you don’t remain on the ground. You stand up, dust off, learn from the mistake and proceed. When you start working towards your success, you will hit some bumps on the road. Learn from the mistakes to avoid them in future.
After your struggles are complete, you will have learned enough, and you will finally achieve. Once you have accomplished your mission, make sure you take pleasure in your sweat and live your dream life. This is the life you deserve as you have attained it through struggles, risks, and failures. Success is a journey and once you reach the destination, be sure to enjoy.